A different option in braces has been steadily growing in popularity. It is self-ligating braces. Although many people may think this is a new thing, this type of braces has actually been available since the 1930’s. It was not until the 1980’s that the technique got better and popularity began to grow. In the last few years, they have really exploded.
What are Self-Ligating Braces?
Traditional and self-ligating braces are the same in many ways. In self-ligating ones, however, there is no need for elastic or rubber ties. These braces use a special type of clip to assist the archwire in properly positioning the teeth. The clips move with your teeth.
It is important to remember that these types of braces are still attached to the teeth with a very strong adhesive. They are not removable during treatment. No matter what types of braces you end up with, following a good oral hygiene routine is essential to your success. This involves proper brushing and flossing, as well as avoiding foods that are very high in sugar.
Benefits of Self-Ligating Braces
There are many reasons that patients are choosing to go with the self-ligating option of braces. They include:
- You need fewer visits to the orthodontist (the brackets do not need to be adjusted every few weeks)
- They are easier on the teeth because they cause less friction
- Many people find these to be more comfortable than traditional braces
- There is no need for a ligature
- Self-ligating braces often get to the desired results faster than traditional braces
- Many people find them easier to clean
If you would like to learn more about self-ligating braces and whether they are the right option for you or your child, make an appointment at Central Texas Orthodontics. We would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have and get you scheduled for a consultation at our office in Austin, TX. Contact us today to schedule an orthodontic appointment.